A Thousand Splendid Moments

..... and home is where it all begins.....

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Service Lesson Learned

Me and the girls decided to go ahead with last Saturday's idea of making cookies for our neighbors. It was an idea that I came up with after coming home from the General Relief Society Broadcast. When KyLee got home from school we whipped out all the stuff to make these great cookies. It is a new recipe (one that you can't mess up, it even says so..) and they turned out great. I will share the receipe. KyLee and Sawyer did most of the preperation and making of the cookies. They had a great time. Sawyer kept (trying :>) to put her hands in the cookie dough, but big sister stopped her. Finally KyLee gave in and gave her a little taste of dough to satisfy Sawyer's curiosity. There was one time when we were cleaning up that I wasn't fast enough and Sawyer grabbed the spoon that I used to scoop out the shortening and she took a quick lick. Yucky came out of her mouth pretty fast.

While we were waiting for the cookies to cook ( I am loving my double oven) I made little Halloween tags to go with the cookies. There were a total of 6 families that we were going to take them to and each one of them we had something special to say. The one tag in the picture is for our neighbor across the street who let me use her phone to call Cody the day I locked Sawyer and I out of the house when I walked KyLee to the bus stop. Different story, different day. KyLee put little Trick or Treat napkins on the plates and then once the cookies were cool we put plastic wrap over the top and put the little tag with our names and phone number.

About 6:00 we were out and about to meet our new neighbors. Some of them I have met and some I have waved hi to, but it was nice to stop and visit for a minute and I thinks some were shocked that we had brought a little gift. Our neighbor next door is so sweet. She has one daughter that is one year older then KyLee and then another little girl in first grade. We probably spent the most time talking to them. She is just really bubbly and cute. The next house was our neighbor who helped me with the lock out crisis and her little boy is in KyLee's class. The last house that we went to was KyLee's little friend that she has been playing with lately. I was finally glad to meet her mom and talk for a few minutes. Out of 6 plates of cookies we were able to deliver 3. More tomorrow. In all of this it was great to see KyLee wanting to do something good for our neighbors. She was excited to go to each home and had no problems knocking on the doors and offering them their treats. It was good for us to get out and meet some of our neighbors. It's just a great way to make this neighborhood feel like home.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Skeeter said...

How great are you making cookies and meeting people! Hi Kenna! It was good to see you last Saturday! Looks like all is well!
http://jerskeeallen.blogspot.com/

October 3, 2008 at 3:17 PM  
Blogger Kenna said...

Hi, Thanks for a great time at the broadcast on Saturday. I really enjoyed sitting with you and Shawna.

October 3, 2008 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home