PTA and Safe Passage for our Kids
Tuesday night I was elected as the Vice President of the PTA for KyLee school, Reedom Elementary. I am pretty excited for this. Since KyLee was in Kindergarten, I have always tried to find ways to be involved in her school and education. Cody and I are firm believers in a good education and we do whatever we can to make sure KyLee excels in every aspect of her schooling. My mom was always part of the PTA while my sister and I were growing up and I always enjoyed having her come to my school for different activities. I am definitely excited for this new challenge. I think it will be a fun year. The other people who are on the board are great and KyLee's principal is awesome. He is so excited to have a PTA at this school. It is nice to see the principal so involved in every aspect of this new school.
While we were at the meeting last night one issue that was brought to our attention was the "Safe passage for our kids" that parents in Mountains Edge are trying to promote to the Public Utilities committee. Currently there is no road that crosses over the railroad tracks over to Desert Oasis High School where our children in Mountains Edge attend or will attend in the future. Currently these students have to walk down Buffalo or Rainbow to Blue Diamond and then up to the high school. This is about a six to ten mile walk home. There are buses that will transport the kids, however, if they attend before or after school activities and they live in a home where both parents work they could be forced to walk home. If a child is caught crossing the railroad tracks they will be end up with a $300 fine and serious discipline, they could even be expelled.
There will be a Public Utilities Consumer Session meeting on October 20th at 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Southern Highlands Preparatory School. The Public Utilities Commission will be there to hear concerns, comments, suggestions, etc. The following day on October 21st at 10:00 am. the Public Utilities Commission will have a public hearing and all involved parties will be in attendance. Parents of the high school are asking that everyone in Mountains Edge who can attend either one or both of these meetings to attend. Their goal is to get a road built that goes across the railroads so that our children will have a safe place to walk to and from school.
If you know of anyone who would like to attend this meeting please pass the information along. I know for our family Desert Oasis High School is only about 5 minutes from our house if we were to cross the railroad tracks. I am in favor of a road being built. It's only 4 short years before KyLee will be a Freshmen at Desert Oasis, and I would feel better if I knew that if by chance KyLee had to walk home from school she would have a safe place to do so.
If you want more information on this let me know and I will get it for you.
Labels: school


2 Comments:
Wow way to go on PTA you are braver than I. I shied away from PTA this year for obvious reasons I think. Anyways, if I can help let me know. I'm glad to be getting to know you. Hopefully we'll see more of each other.
Look at you go, Mrs. VP...! You have motivated me to be more involved in the PTA. I am signed up, but have not done much so far. Friday night was fun, and I enjoyed talking to you after. Thanks for listening to me jabber. ;)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home